Thursday, February 18, 2010

Will I clear the background check for NYS corrections officer if I spent time in rehab?

I've been clean for a few years but in my early twenties I spent time in a few different drug rehab/mental health facilities. Will this come up in my background check and will it bar me from a career in law enforcement?Will I clear the background check for NYS corrections officer if I spent time in rehab?
Rehab is a medical condition, and is covered under HIPPA laws. Medical records are not part of a routine background check.





What got you into rehab could certainly be an issue.





.Will I clear the background check for NYS corrections officer if I spent time in rehab?
Unless you were convicted at were forced by the courts to go into rehab, the background check wont show it. but you may have to explain any gaps in employment.


Pending on why you went into rehab, drugs or alcohol, that will be a determination. But always remember, honesty is the best policy, especially if you are going into Law Enforcement.


Good Luck.
It depends on the source, I would recomend buying a $15 background check on yourself to see what comes up. This will give you a very good general idea of what information an employer will see.





I recomend http://www.easybackgroundchecks.com , they offer excellent results for an good price.
they do a crim history check and also psychometric testing to see whther you are suitable for the position. If you have been in trouble and have convictions, declare them. If you do not and they find out once they received your crim history they will take that as sign of dishonestly and you will have no chance.
when you filled out the paperwork did you report it? Never know it might come up. it might not. There is no database that states if you have been in rehab or not. Now, if through the people that they talk to bring it up or if it was court ordered then it will come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment