Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maximum time for a check to clear?

My husband wrote me a check that I deposited, via the ATM at my credit union on Nov 18. That check then cleared his account on Nov 24 - which makes sense because it would take a little time for someone to take the deposits from the ATM, process them and then route the Check21 info to my husband's bank to debit from his account. But he also wrote me a check that I deposited at the same ATM on Nov 20 and while again the credit was immediate on my account (which it should be) his account has never been debited for that check - it is now Dec 8! So the first check took 5 business days to clear but it's been 14 business days and still the debit has not appeared on my husband's account. It's like they lost the check or something? Is there a maximum time limit that the banks must process the check/debit my husband's account?Maximum time for a check to clear?
Actually there isn't. Your husband's bank didn't deduct on his account due to some numerical error. One reason could possibly that it got deducted somebody else's account. I used to work at a bank and once in a blue moon, the machine doesn't read the number correctly and it does happen. So your husband would need to go to his bank and try to recitfy that. Hope that helps.Maximum time for a check to clear?
Why are you and your husband writing each other checks in the first place?


Anyway, it sounds like the check has been ';lost';. Was your account really credited for the amount, or were you just looking at the slip you got from the ATM? I'm guessing his acount was never debited and yours was never credited.
You should call both banks and check on it. There is no maximum time, so despite there clearly being some problem, it CAN and probably will hit his account some time. So definitely consider it gone when you are checking his balance... even if it has not been debited yet.


Despite Monopoly, if there is a ';bank error in your favor'; it is never ';yours';. When they do find their mistake, which almost always happens, you must pay it back immediately. If the amount if large and you've spent it, you can be prosecuted. (Not that you were planning that--- just FYI)
i would go down there and raise hell

No comments:

Post a Comment